Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Organizing Recipes

Recipe Retrieval : Here is a system that has always worked for me:

1. Gather - all those recipes from magazines, friends, 3x5 recipe cards and ...

2. Sort and file in a "trial file" - a convenient place to stash "to try" recipes quickly.
I put a few files with key labels in an open file box in a handy spot(no lid or you'll just put the paper somewhere else just for a minute, right?)

3. Put your favorite recipes in a "tried and true recipes" binder.
I put my favs in a white 1 in. binder (any bigger and it becomes too big to handle), with a clear cover that I can slip a foodie photo into. (Martha Stewart magazine has the best food photography!)

or buy a funky binder like this one from Park St. Market


4. Label some tabbed dividers with whatever category makes sense to you:
breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert and snacks. My labels are: chicken, beef, pork, fish, ethnic, soups, sandwiches, vegetables (subdivided) grilling, make it FAST, and meal planning (more on this later) I also have a binder that is desserts only...wow that's scary. I glue the recipes and photo in and slip the page into a sheet protector...I should take a picture!




No comments: