Have you ever stood in your overstuffed clothes closet and said.....I have nothing to wear? ...and then you go shopping for something new. You don't need anything new, you need a new way of seeing the clothes you already have!!
Check out my new system...it's the coolest thing. I call it the "family plan".
It all started when my friend Dixie told me how she organizes her clothes by outfits and not by type. (Most women sort their clothes by, all skirts together, all pants, short sleeved then long like colors together etc.....and then you stand there and don't know what goes with what!!... "I know I put together something cute last week that was nice casual, what was it?? ) ...so frustrating!
....so Dix came over and I just started trying stuff on and she helped me put together "fab, slamdunk, this looks great! outfits" adding the right cami, belt, necklace whatever etc. When a great outfit was created, the top part of the outfit went on a hanger all together, JEWELRY AND ALL, and the pant or skirt was hung on a hanger beside it.
OK now, this is important....each FAMILY is based on one parent: a particular skirt or pant. It goes on the left and then you put all the great top combos that go with that bottom to the right...now, don't think that you can put, say, a black casual skirt and black casual pants in the same family and share top combos. It doesn't work that way. The proportions of tops that look good with a certain skirt does not necessarily mean it will look good with the same color pant. It's all about perfect fit......
Now... the families need to be separated on the rod some way, to know where each family begins and ends. I separate mine with silver curtains rings and tied a hot pink ribbon onto it. (see photo) Trust me I can see where the families start and stop....and the bonus of using a shower hook is that I can move it around when I change up the families.
...new members of the family will move in and out...(some of my kids still do that!) Now, you will find that as you build your families you'll have many "singles" left over. This means:
1. you love it but haven't found a good home for it yet
2. this will go into winter (or the next season) outfits
3. it really doesn't go with anything
4. you don't like it enough to add it to a family
5. it doesn't fit
6. its dated
Only keep category 1 and 2 and dare to dump the duds! Make room for really great outfits only! Why ever look less than you can? Why keep anything that's just "alright"? How you think you look, is a mood maker or breaker!!
It's handy to have a stylish and candid friend over on outfit-making day. She can say..that color doesn't do anything for you....it's not flattering...that's so 90's...it's just so-so...try it with.... I don't care what it cost, it's ugly! get over it!!....etc. She will see combos that you won't ever have thought of..and get you out of your box!
The perks of this system:
1. SAVES TIME....You look at your wardrobe and can immediately put on a great outfit in 30 seconds flat (handy when hubbie wants to go somewhere...now!)
2. SAVES MONEY...You don't need more, you will probably find that you really have quite enough...you were just confused!
3. SAVES TIME WHEN SHOPPING...no more aimless wandering .....now you are on a hunt for specific fill-ins. I know right now I need a new pair of great fitting khaki pants, my old ones weren't worthy of all the great top combos that can come from it. I know I need a chunky casual short red neckace that I need for a certain outfit....keep a list and keep it with you...which I easily could if I had an IPhone (my magnificent obsession)
This really is a cool way to wardrobe....I can always look put together in just a minute if I want to!...and...you aren't tied to the families....you can change up as often as you have time...and no more staring at your clothes with that stupid look on your face.
Please give me comments...questions...feedback. This may not read as clearly as I think I wrote it! I'll answer questions next blog.